The Lindley House
The Thomas Elwood Lindley House circa 1852, was built on land granted in 1812 to Jonathan
Lindley when he left North Carolina to settle in Orange County. Jonathan was the grandfather of Thomas Elwood Lindley (1825-1900), an influential Quaker. He served in the State Legislature at Indiana’s first Capitol in Corydon. The property remained in the Lindley Family until it was deeded to the Orange County Historical Society in 1974
by the great-great-grandson, H. Carl Thompson and Dorothy Farlow Thompson.
The house is restored to reflect the period 1850-1869 when it was used as a farm
home. It was listed on the National Historic Register of Historic Places in 1985. Included are
a corner cupboard, washing machine, spinning wheel, baby crib and pump organ.
The front porch step features a large semi-circle millstone from an 1800's gristmill.
The house, located just off the Hwy. 150 West on Willow Creek Rd. in Paoli is available for tours in season by appointment only. To schedule a tour, call: (812) 653 1212 or email Robert F. Henderson, President: email@example.com